IUBio

ClonTECH Site directed Mutagenesis

Wed Mar 3 15:48:33 EST 1999

At 15:07 3/3/99 -0500, Meg Kawecki wrote:
>I have heard that Stratagene Quickchange has been a user friendly kit in
>many hands.  Does anyone have any experience with the Clontech kit?  If
>so, could you let me know at mak9a at virginia.edu.  Thank you.  I have
>been having a lot of trouble with it and I suspect that it could lie in
>my primers simply being a little more picky than the controls supplied
>with the kit.

Meg:

The only one of Clontech's that I used was the "Transformer".  It worked
well for us as long as we made one and only one mutation.  We had big
problems in conducting multiple mutations (sequentially, not
simultaneously) on one vector (like introducing 2 additional unique
restriction sites while taking two out).

We opted to change to Stratagene's QuickChange and it served our needs --
we were able to spend more time working *with* our mutants rather than *on*
them in trying to derive them.

Hope this helps,
David
 David L. Haviland, Ph.D.