G418/neomycin-cross resistance?

Ishwar S. Singh isingh at umaryland.edu
Thu Mar 4 15:44:44 EST 1999

Neo resistance is conferred by utilizing the bacterial gene encoding the
enzyme aminoglycoside 3' phosphotransferase (APH).  Two distinct APH
enzymes, encoded by the bacterial transposons Tn5 and Tn601, confer
resistance to aminoglycoside antibiotics such as Kanamycin, Neomycin and
Geneticin (G418), which inhibit protein synthesis in both prokaryotic and
eukaryotic cells.