Fish larvae shrinkage and preservation buffer(s)

Jörgen Ullberg Jorgen.Ullberg at zoologi.su.se
Fri Mar 5 05:03:54 EST 1999

Craig Primmer <Craig.Primmer at Helsinki.FI> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am interested in preserving newly hatched fish larvae (atlantic
> salmon) so that their length can be measured and, at a later date, DNA
> of suitable quality can be extracted for microsatellite analysis.
> Can anyone suggest which buffer would minimise the distortion of body
> shape, but still preserve the DNA (for up to 6 months)?
>
> I am familiar with a number of articles dealing with the problem of
> shrinkage after preservation in ethanol/formalin/formaldahyde. In
> general ethanol is the worst for shrinkage but is the best for DNA
> extraction. The exact effect also seems to be species specific.
>
> Does anyone know what effect a DMSO/salt buffer has on larval length?
>
> Could you please reply to my personal email account too!
>
> Cheers
>
> Craig
I would start trying DMSO. Rererences below can be a start. Ethanol can
work well but seems to be highly tissue and time dependable.
Formaldehyde even worse.

MN Dawson, KA Raskoff, DK Jacobs 1998 Field preservation of marine
invertebrate tissue for DNA analyses. Molecular Marine Biology and
Biotechnology 7(2) 145-152

G Seutin, BN White, PT Boag. 1991 Preservation of avian blood and tissue
samples for DNA analyses. Canadian Journal of Zoology 69(1) 82-90