SDS-PAGE migration of lipoproteins

Per Mygind perm at biobase.dk
Fri Mar 5 16:45:21 EST 1999

Hi there

I'm working on a bacterial membrane extract.
In analysing this extract by SDS-PAGE I come about an interesting
finding. When I exclude boiling of the sample prior to electrophoresis,
a distinct protein (a lipoprotein) migrates totally different, than when
it's boiled. Does this heat sensitivity of the protein got anything to
do with the protein being a lipoprotein or is it just a resistance to
complete denaturation of the protein without boiling (the protein being
a membranespanning protein)

Any help out there ? Any exambles from the literature of heatsensitive
membrane proteins ?

Regards

Per Mygind

If you are are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate

Per Mygind, Cand.scient

Department of Medical Microbiology and Immunology
The Bartholin Building, University of Aarhus, Denmark
phone : 89 42 17 47, fax   : 86 19 61 28