DNA isolation from agarose gels

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Mon Mar 8 11:38:48 EST 1999

At 06:37 PM 3/5/99 -0500, Sean Fitzsimmons wrote:
>What is the simplest and most efficient method for recovering restriction
>fragments from agarose gels.  I am trying to recover PCR product whose ends
>have been digested with restriction enzymes from HMP agarose.  The gels have
>loads of product, but recovery of approximately 5% seems to be the norm.
>I've tried Wizard PCR preps, Quiex II, and electroelution, all with very
>dissappointing yields.  Any suggestions of simple, high-yield protocols?
>Thanks in advance.
>Sean Fitzsimmons

Do you know of the simplest method of "freeze squeeze" employing the
microfuge? Gives clean DNA with  recovery approaching 100%. If you don't
have the protocol visit the archives (I had posted it last year) or  write
me back.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003