IUBio

autoclavable culture medium

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Tue Mar 9 14:05:36 EST 1999

Does anyone know why companies add succinate to culture medium powder
in order to make the liquid autoclavable?  I know that it probably
inhibits or reduces the amount of hydrolysis incurred by any unstable
vitamins or amino acids in the medium-- but does anyone know what the
biochemical basis of this is?  I found some old papers by Keay in the
mid-to-late seventies, but those papers added peptone, not succinate.

Rae Nishi, PhD
Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology
Oregon Health Sciences University