IUBio

Basic question

Malay curiouser at ccmb.ap.nic.in
Wed Mar 10 01:34:31 EST 1999

>:>:Can someone tell me what the difference is between a mM unit and a mmol?
>:>:How do you calculate mol?
>:>:
>:>:Neal Melvin
>:
>:
>:>I too have very basic question:
>:>
>:>How on earth was it possible to finish high school, much less
>:>graduate from medical school without learning such basic things
>:>like measures of quantity and concentration? In my humble opinion,
>:>the lack of such understanding would unquestionably negate
>:>any meaningful undestanding of most everything in pharmacology
>:>and _a lot_ in many other areas of biology and medicine...
>:>
>:>        - Dima
>:
>:Your question too is very basic Dima! But not knowing some basic stuff is
>:not a sin! It's a crime when you don't want to "know" such things. Even
>:person like us don't know the answers for some "basic question" and resort
>:to hand-waiving when asked about it! May be, who knows, someday we will
come
>:to know the answers to "these basic questions" by discussing some "other
>:type of basic question" like what Melvin asked. And in my opinion a
>:discussion group like this should be the platform to discuss "anything";
>:"basic" and "acidic"!
>
>You don't not understand.
>
>My comment was not directed to a particular person
>(although I _hope_ neither me nor anyone I know will ever be
>treated by such doctor(s)). To rephrase, my question is as follows:
>
>What went so tragically wrong in the current education system
>that it is _possible_ to graduate without learning such fundamental
>things?
>
>        - Dima
>
>P.S. And yes, the answer to the question is in ANY elelmentary textbook,
>and yes, I wouldn't trust professional competence of anyone who cannot
>open the book and read.

Yes! This time you asked a real basic question! But unfortunately, this
question belongs to the category of the questions, that I already said,
whose answers are not known. And whenever such questions are asked, we need
to give "an effective solution" like a method called "hand-waiving", because
the "answer" to this question, like many other such questions, are
"basically" unknown! We can give an "explanation" but not an "answer". And
the explanation in this case, like any other such cases, is that there is
something fundamentally wrong with the Universe!

And see my prophesy is turning out to be true! We started with a simple
basic questions and the discussion is drifting towards "fundamentals"!

Malay

Malay Kumar Basu
Center for Cellular and Molecular Biology
Hyderabad 500007
I N D I A

Fax: (00-91)40-7171195
Phone: (00-91)40-7172241
-----
We used to write taglines with pencil & paper, my son.
-----
curiouser at ccmb.ap.ni.in