IUBio

DNA isolation from agarose gels

D. KIM dkim at NMSU.Edu
Thu Mar 11 17:53:53 EST 1999

Dr. Klaus Eimert <eimert at geisenheim.fa.fh-wiesbaden.de> wrote:
: Rick wrote:
: >
[clipped stuff out]
: >
: > Rick

: Hi Rick,

: I've been using Promega's Wizard minicolumns the same way (no
: affiliation ...). This was published in the Elsevier Tips Online in

: Regards,

: Klaus
 [sorry, cut more stuff]

So . . . you guys are made of money?  Using extra Wizard columns is like
finding a way to eat leftover caviar!

Ok, I am having a double capuccino, and I can be a little hot under the
collar.  sorry.  Nonetheless, it is not a good thing to rely too much on
kits, especially without knowing the principles behind them.

for instance, a typical Wizard prep costs over one US Dollar per prep.
Descriptions of the reagents and methods exist in the FAQ for this group,
as well as in the scientific literature (especially Vogelstein and
Gillespie's PNAS paper on DNA recovery from agarose gels).  With very
little work, one can assemble "kits" for a tiny fraction of the retail
cost.  If one uses inexpensive aerosol barrier tips (see my post on the
subject within this thread), even the columns may be replicated with
little effort.

The same is true of gel electrophoresis apparatus and other equipment.  I
will agree that many complex procedures can be difficult to learn.  Some
procedures, if only to be done occasionally, may not be worth the learning
curve.  Other routine procedures will bleed you of all your money, if you
use kits.  In addition, new methods do not come from divine inspiration,
but from a detailed knowledge of how chemistry and biology work.

Molecular biology is, more than other biological sciences, built on
methods and technology.  (I know that I risk argument with this statement)
Building and optimizing your own processes can help keep the mind flexible
enough to create hardware or methods that can address problems that are
now insoluble (unsolvable?).

Well, those are my $ 0.02.  I'll get back to the lab and work on making an
electroporator out of an old food processor.  :)

Daniel Kim
dkim at nmsu.edu