i need help for dna extraction

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Thu Mar 11 16:50:56 EST 1999

In article <7c8tle$aia$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, arnaud2507 at my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I,
> I need some help for dna extraction. I knwow that exist a simple procedure to
> extract dna on mouse tail with chelex (this is a solution that chelating
> proteins) , but i don't find this procedure. Does anybody have a protocol or
> reference for help me.
> Thank
> Arnaud

I saw this in Biotechniques several years ago but didn't keep
a copy.  From what I remember the Chelex was to clean up
extracted DNA to remove components that inhibit PCR and
restriction digestion (it is not an extraction method per
se).  I've only heard of Chelex being used for problematic
DNA samples (particularly blood) but tail DNA is generally
very clean.  I use the proteinase K method published in
Nucleic Acids Reasearch and see DNA that is just fine
for PCR (never fails) and Southerns.
     ...and I don't think that Chelex "chelates proteins".

     Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD