Storage of dry DNA? Any experience?

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Thu Mar 11 16:01:10 EST 1999

In article <rh-1103991759200001 at secretary1.ibls.gla.ac.uk>,
rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk (Robert Hartley) wrote:

> In article <36e7ff7e.27317058 at news>, alejaconeja at hotmail.com (alexandra
> hiller) wrote:

> Come to think of it why not have your samples in a thermos filled with
> dry-ice or with a little liquid nitrogen at the bottom.

I think I should retract this bit of advice. A chap more awake than myself
has pointed out the consequences better that I could have. :-)
 Here is a section of the mail.

He wrote:-
>Wow! CARE. I dont like the idea of recommending placing liquid gases,
>such as nitrogen, into potentially sealable containers, such as
>thermos flasks. The results are explosive and can be potentially
>lethal, and often disabilitating.  I realise that you are
>inevitably aware of this, but not all readers will be so you must
>therefore point out with such postings that the thermos lid must not
>be screwed on tight, or only after drilling a small vent hole.
>
>NEVER put liquid gases such as N2 into sealed non-pressure resistant
>containers is all i have to say, apart from including that a thermos
>flask falls into this category

Sorry folks.
I replied to him with thanks and this explanation:-

Yep, true i'll post to let them know.OOOPS (been a long day. workmen on
the roof therefore only in the hood before 9am and after 5pm.
It must be getting to my common sense. :-)
 As you may have guessed it was an afterthought.

Cheers
bob

--
Robert Hartley BSc(Hons)