Disposable spectrophotmetric cuvettes

jdwalls at my-dejanews.com jdwalls at my-dejanews.com
Thu Mar 11 20:55:56 EST 1999

In answer to your question, its for a colorimetric assay for biotin
(HABA/Avidin).	I'm quantitating biotin-label incorporation in in-vitro
transcription reactions.  You measure the reduction in absorbance at 500nm
when a biotin-containing sample is added to the HABA/Avidin solution.  When
you're not reagent-limited, large volume cuvettes work fine for it.  I don't
want to lose most of my IVT to a labeling efficiency assay though!
Disposable cuvettes are preferable because of the waste-stream generated by
this testing.  In order to rinse out the quartz cuvettes, you need to pollute
a lot of water with HABA (which is apparently quite toxic).  In addition,
every time you handle a quartz cuvette you run the risk of breaking the damn
things:  "Oops...tinkle...there goes another 250 bucks!" The Fisher ones were
the smallest I could find too, and they say the min volume is 1.2mL...