Detection of GnHCl

Wolfgang Schechinger Wolfgang.Schechinger at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Thu Mar 11 08:06:05 EST 1999

Richard,

You still remember the 1st year anorganic course?: If GuHCl is the
only one  source of chloride (halogen) ions in your solution, you
might check for this ion using silver nitrate solution. You'll get a
characteristic white precipitate that does not dissolve in diluted
nitric acid. Of course you also could measure chloride with a routine
analyzer in clinical chemistry, if you have access to any.

Wolfgang

PS

Richard, please excuse my ignorance, but my latin's buried. What
means "In Ventum Faciens Aquam" - "making water in the wind" gives no
sense to me.

> Subject:       Detection of GnHCl

> Hi,
>
> We're looking at the clearance of chaotrophs - does anyone know of a
> simple /chemical/ assay for guanidine hydrochloride? (we can't look
> at conductivity).

> --
> Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
> work: www.cmtech.co.uk        |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
>                  -- In Ventum Faciens Aquam --

-----
usual disclaimers apply * This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
Pathobiochemistry Dept.
University of Tuebingen, Germany