Flag vs. myc epitope tags.

Chris Boyd chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 12 11:36:23 EST 1999

Cornelius Krasel (krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de) wrote:
: Svend Kjaer <Svend at CAJAL.MBB.KI.SE> wrote:
: > This is a recurrent thread. However, I have the choice to tag my scFv antibody
: > fragments with either of the two tags, so which one do you recommend and
: > preferably does anyone know of Kd determinations of the M2 and 9E10 antibody
: > for their respective tags, which would eliminate the "works fine in Western
: > blot at 1:10000 for me !" kind of responses.

: Maybe it helps you to know that internal flag tags don't work. The tag has
: to be either at the N or the C terminus.

Not so.  Have a look at

   Howard, M., Jilling, T., Duvall, M. and Frizzell, R. A. (1996) `cAMP
   regulated trafficking of epitope tagged CFTR.'   Kidney International,
   49, 1642-1648.

One of their constructs has an internal FLAG (DYKDDDDK) tag in an
extramembrane loop and it works.

Best wishes,
--
Chris Boyd                      | from (but not \  MRC Human Genetics Unit
Christopher.Boyd at hgu.mrc.ac.uk  | on behalf of) /      Crewe Rd, Edinburgh