IUBio

Seeking: E.coli strain allowing inverted repeated DNA

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Mon Mar 15 15:56:47 EST 1999

In article <7cinbp$ggo$1 at nntp4.u.washington.edu>,
polliwog at u.washington.edu (S. Findley) wrote:

> I am looking for a cloning strain of E.coli which will
> permit the growth of two identical but inverted copies of the same
> fragment i.e.:
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<X>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> I vaguely recall a series of vectors designed a few years ago with huge
> inverted polylinkers that could grow deletion-free in a particular strain
> of bug...
> Please email me if you have a lead on such a strain
> -Thanks
> Seth D. Findley               polliwog at u.washington.edu

Stratagene's SURE and SURE2 are supposed to be good for
this purpose.  I have propagated plasmids in these but
have never done the comparison with other strains.  I've
also had reasonable results with HB101 for repetitive
sequences (eg. for GRE repeat plasmids).  Gibco/BRL also
advertise Stbl2 cells chich claim to be good for direct
repeats but I have never tried them.
     Good luck,
          Bernard
[no commercial affiliations]