IUBio

You have been invited!!

Ian A. York iayork at panix.com
Mon Mar 15 17:14:14 EST 1999

In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-1503991346250001 at macmac-2.ucsf.edu>,
Bernard P. Murray, PhD <bpmurray*STUFFER*@socrates.ucsf.edu> wrote:
>In article <rh-1403991205100001 at secretary1.ibls.gla.ac.uk>,
>rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk (Robert Hartley) wrote:
>
>> Isn't there an online mail bouncer that you can fwd this to that will
>> reply in droves to the mail address. Apparently if they (SPAM sender) have

Spammer FORGE their return addresses.  Unless you are skilled in
deciphering headers, DO NOT even attempt to reply; at the best it will be
a dead address, and more likely you'll end up mailbombing someone who
irritated the spammer before, and who had the bad luck to get his or her
address forged.

If you are skilled in reading headers, complain to the postmaster of the
appropriate domain.  Again, don't waste your time with the actual
spammer's address; it's sent to dev/null.

>I'd better add the disclaimer that I wasn't *reeally* serious
>about phoning them as it could possibly have been an honest
>mistake on their part.  The main thing that irked me was the
>amount of "this all legal nah nah nah" text appended to the
>post.  Is their any kind of legislation in the works to
>amend the description of spam?

A spam law was PROPOSED by Murkowski; it was worse than useless, and
fortunately it died before becoming law.  There is no such law, in other
words; however, since spammers are liars as well as thieves, they
generally refer to it in the hope some naive people will be fooled.

This post was not, by the way, an accident; it was clearly an intentional
spam.But don't reply to the post or mail (you'll almost certainly waste
your time or worse) and for the same reason don't phone 800 numbers,
they're often faked as well.

If you know what you're doing, complain to the postmaster.  If you aren't
confident in your header-reading skills, don't do anything; trust to
others to do the appropriate complaint.  It's better to do nothing than to
do active damage.

For spam information and header-reading lessons and tools, try
<http://www.powerup.com.au/~mfleming/antispam/> and
<http://www.ao.net/waytosuccess/reportspam_trackresources.html>.

Finally, email and Usenet spam are both on their way down.  Email spam
peaked last summer, and has gradually trended downward since.  The good
guys are winning, but the war isn't over yet.

Ian