protein gel mixtures

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue Mar 16 08:06:41 EST 1999

In article <ja2mes-1603991047230001 at>,
ja2mes at (J.S. Good) wrote:

>Any reason why one shouldn't mix acrylamide, buffer, water, SDS and use
>this as as a stock solution, adding APS and TEMED at the last minute to an
>aliquot prior to casting the gel?

Because (a) you might want different %age gels, and (b) acrylamide needs
to be stored cold and dark.  SDS doesn't like the cold.

I used to make a 5x stock of tris, water and SDS, and add acrylamide,
water, AMPS, TEMED as necessary.  Obviously a diff. stock for stacking &
resolving . . .

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
work:        |      home:
       -- 'An angel has quite a large carrying capacity' --