protein gel mixtures

Jee-Yeong Jeong jeong at biochem.purdue.edu
Tue Mar 16 12:44:05 EST 1999

Hi. I mostly agree with other's opinions. I also stock each solution
separately for running gel, but in the case of stacking gel, I combine
everything except APS and TEMED in dark bottle and store at 4 degC, because I
always use same % for the stacking gel and it's somewhat bothering to mix
small amount solutions every time. And the final 0.1% SDS in this mixture has
never been precipitated. So, I think you might try to combine all the
solutions (of course except APS and TEMED) for running gel too, if you usually
use  a single % acrylamide. For stability or self-oxidation of acrylamide, I
have not much idea.

"J.S. Good" wrote:

> Any reason why one shouldn't mix acrylamide, buffer, water, SDS and use
> this as as a stock solution, adding APS and TEMED at the last minute to an
> aliquot prior to casting the gel?

Jee-Yeong Jeong
Graduate Research Assistant
Department of Biochemistry
Purdue University
Hansen Life Science Research Building, Room 225
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Tel (765) 494-6591          Fax (765) 494-7897
Email: jeong at biochem.purdue.edu