IUBio

Setting up a PCR Lab

Susan Jane Hogarth sjhogart at cc02du.unity.ncsu.edu
Tue Mar 16 12:04:53 EST 1999

 Bill_A_Nussbaumer at ms.bd.com wrote:

>So what your saying is that a "proper" search would involve several hours
>wading through miscellaneous web pages, library references and textbooks
>looking for the right material.

Not at all.

>  And this is preferable to taking a few
>minutes to try and mine the vast knowledge base of the Usenet who may or
>may not answer at their own discretion.

I typed in haste, certainly, and apologise for my tersness and sarcasm,
but research skills (and I don't mean benchwork right now) are one of the
most important aspects of science (heh - can you think of any aspect that
isn't 'one of the most important..?:)> Anyway, probably I was too flip
and dismissive, but a ng query can be much more *focussed* if he first
does -some- legwork.

Of course, it's possible there's someone writing a review right now who
has this bibliography at hand and wants to share...

> I'm afraid I don't get it.  If
>this group isn't for information searches (broad or specific), then what is
>it for?  Besides, the request seems pretty specific to me.

Difference of opinion. Sounded pretty broad to me. But, as you say, it's
a public forum.

--
Susan
"Give a man a few lines of verse and he thinks