IUBio

protein gel mixtures

Sean Patterson seanpat at FMED2.UNCU.EDU.AR
Tue Mar 16 13:40:31 EST 1999

>Hi. I mostly agree with other's opinions. I also stock each solution
>separately for running gel, but in the case of stacking gel, I combine
>everything except APS and TEMED in dark bottle and store at 4 degC, because I
>always use same % for the stacking gel and it's somewhat bothering to mix
>small amount solutions every time. And the final 0.1% SDS in this mixture has
>never been precipitated. So, I think you might try to combine all the
>solutions (of course except APS and TEMED) for running gel too, if you usually
>use  a single % acrylamide. For stability or self-oxidation of acrylamide, I
>have not much idea.
>
>"J.S. Good" wrote:
>
>> Any reason why one shouldn't mix acrylamide, buffer, water, SDS and use
>> this as as a stock solution, adding APS and TEMED at the last minute to an
>> aliquot prior to casting the gel?

A related question: Why add the TEMED at the end? Is it unstable in aqueous
solution? I kept gel buffer (stack and separating) stocks with TEMED at 4°C
for long periods without noticing any polymerization problems.

Sean Patterson, Ph.D.
Catedra de Fisiologia, CC33
Facultad de Ciencias Medicas
Universidad Nacional de Cuyo