protein gel mixtures

Cornelius Krasel krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de
Tue Mar 16 09:52:18 EST 1999

J.S. Good <ja2mes at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Any reason why one shouldn't mix acrylamide, buffer, water, SDS and use
> this as as a stock solution, adding APS and TEMED at the last minute to an
> aliquot prior to casting the gel?

My guess would be that you have to store the acrylamide in the fridge
which would precipitate the SDS. Furthermore, the advantage of using
acrylamide, SDS-containing buffer and water separately is that you
can cast gels of various acrylamide concentrations with the same
solutions, you just have to vary the amounts of water and acrylamide
solution.

--Cornelius.