"Autogen" Miniprep Method (?)

Dave Neece dneece at uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 17 16:26:36 EST 1999

Hi,

Does anyone know the procedure for doing minipreps similar to the
"Autogen" method?   Basically, the Autogen does the miniprep in a total of
two tubes, and is not able (as far as I know) to pipet off the aqueous
layer in a phenol extraction -- it somehow combines the phenol with the
KOAc step.  What I'm looking for is a way to perform Alk Lys (including
phenol ext.) with a minimal number of tube changes and hassles.  I found a
list of Autogen reagents on their internet site and pasted them below.  I
believe they are listed in the order added.

Tris-HCl/EDTA

Tris-HCl/EDTA/RNase

NaOH/Sarkosyl

Phenol/KOAc/EtOH