DNA isolation from agarose gels

Jesse J. Parry casshan at siu.edu
Wed Mar 17 23:59:46 EST 1999

Okay, so not everyone has loads of cash around to buy kits.  However, if the
funds are there, then why not buy the things.  Also, that comment, "Building
and optimizing your own processes can help keep the mind flexible enough to
create hardware or methods that can address problems that are
now insoluble (unsolvable?)" is great if you have one or two protocols to do
all the time, but for the typical grad student, you have 89 million
experiments to do.  Thus, kits provide a great way to cut down the time it
takes to perform agarose-DNA purification and other procedures as well.
Like I really want to spend a week "refining" a protocol that I could put in
a publication, when I could get loads of results in a week that I could put
into a publication instead.

By the way, Geneclean III Kit is an excellent kit for purification of DNA
from solution or agarose gels (whether they be TAE or TBE).

Jesse Parry
casshan at siu.edu