IUBio

DNA isolation from agarose gels

Annette C. Hollmann ah690549 at bcm.tmc.edu
Thu Mar 18 09:10:34 EST 1999

In article <r_grant-1803990841220001 at 192.168.0.84> rgrant at netscape.net writes:
>In article <7cq0hk$qlo$1 at saluki-news.it.siu.edu>, "Jesse J. Parry"
><casshan at siu.edu> wrote:
>
>>but for the typical grad student, you have 89 million
>>experiments to do.  Thus, kits provide a great way to cut down the time it
>>takes to perform agarose-DNA purification and other procedures as well.
>
>So you're saying it's fine to buy the kits and use them with no (or
>little) understanding of the underlying chemistry?
>
>I agree that kits are a great time-saver (I have to say that, we sell them
>(-:) but I would urge every grad student to understand what they're
>doing.  That in itself will save wasted time on the 'phone to tech support
>. . .

You don't need to reinvent the wheel to understand how it works.
You can read up on the principles involved, and then, if appropriate, go
ahead and use the kit.
IMHO kit vs homemade is a time vs money issue.
A grad student is worth about $5 an hour - so if something that costs less
than $5 saves him an hour, that's money well spent. Most people seem to
think a grad students' work is free, but they don't realize that if he
wastes all his time spending weeks doing with homemade stuff that a kit
will do in a couple of days, he'll need more time to graduate and they
have to pay his stipend for another year or 2.

Of course the other issue, more relevant in industry but also in academia,
is if you're racing against another lab. If someone is hot on your tail
and you're in danger of getting scooped, spend the money to move fast and
get published / get the patent first.

Annette