IUBio

vacugene XL problems

michael fitch mjf8 at cornell.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:04:14 EST 1999

Hello,

I have been having trouble with my Southern transfers using our new
vacugene, and pharmacia tech support has been of little use.  I have not
been getting any significant transfer from my gels (1-1.2% TBE). I have
been using 30 minute treatment steps prior to adding ssc.  I have noticed
that my gel ends up concave at the end of the procedure after transferring
at 50 mbar.  My gel is about 6x10cm and 4mm thick.  Should I turn down the
vacuum? Should I try a higher strength agarose? I am using gibco-brl
agarose right now. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

please respond by email to mjf8 at cornell.edu