DNA isolation from agarose gels

Jesse J. Parry casshan at siu.edu
Thu Mar 18 23:43:18 EST 1999

Obviously I'm not saying that you don't need to understand the principles
behind protocols or experiments.  I can only speak for myself, and I take
the time to learn the principles behind any procedure before I do it.  How
can one know what went wrong when one does not know what they are even
doing?  I was just saying that kits are useful for repetitive procedures.
For example, sequencing of 16S sequences requires PCR using universal
primers, followed by excision from an agarose gel the amplified fragment
(assuming it is the correct fragment), and then cycle sequencing (at least
in my experiences).  Band purification and cycle sequencing kits are
essential especially when you are trying to identify multiple
sequences/organisms.  Lighten up people.