Drying agarose gels

Ashok Aiyar aiyar at ebv.oncology.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 19 12:33:51 EST 1999

On Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:09:44 +0100,
    Dr. Fernando Rodriguez-Pascual (frodrigu at mail.uni-mainz.de) wrote:
>I will be very grateful if someone can give me some tips to dry agarose
>gels. The purpose is to perform a kind of electrophoretic mobility shift
>assay to look the possible interaction between a 560 bp radioactive
>transcript and a purified protein. For this transcript size I should use
>agarose instead PAGE, but I was told that the drying of agarose gels is
>not easy.

I have routinely dried agarose gels.  For this, I soak the gel
in 10% TCA for approximately 15 minutes; then soak in water for
about 5 minutes; and dry the gel using a BioRad gel dryer at
65oC for 1 - 2 hours.  I dry the gels on DE-81 paper.

Ashok
--
Ashok Aiyar, Ph.D.
McArdle Laboratory for Cancer Research