free molecular biology program

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Mon Mar 22 22:09:19 EST 1999

In article <36F70C58.BCA652DA at mis.net>, colinw at mis.net wrote:

> If you work with restriction endonucleases alot, you might find this
> little program I wrote useful.
>              http://users.mis.net/~colinw/buffer.html
> Any feed back would be greatly appreciated!
> colin wilson

Yes, as I posted earlier, your program does not point out
the possibility of star activity in incompatible (but
100% active) buffers and does not point out that there
can be problems when one of the enzymes must be incubated
at a temperature higher or lower than the typical 37degC.
Under either of these circumstances your program will
suggest a buffer or give activities that are wrong.
Unfortunately such circumstances are not at all uncommon
(eg. your program will not work for EcoRI combinations).
     A useful tool.  Add some warnings for the naiive user.
          Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD