IUBio

Do DNAs from different individuals mix if stored together?

Mark Dowton Mark_Dowton at uow.edu.au
Mon Mar 22 22:54:55 EST 1999

I think Kai means that when many ants are stored in the one collection
tube, can the DNA (originally inside individuals) mix?  This is fairly
obvious to people who work with bulk-trapped insects, less obvious to
others.  I think the answer is generally no - there is no indication that
this is the case - otherwise any manipulation (PCR or otherwise) of
insects collected in this way would be a mess.  Loosely speaking, I would
guess that DNA is insolube in 70% ethanol, so that it's diffusion
throughout the tube is very limited - it should become 'fixed' inside the
insect.  However, you could easily imagine that if the ants were damaged
in some way, that DNA would leak out into the ethanol and _might_ become
deposited onto other ants.  I would personally consider other possibilites
before chasing this one up (such as heteroplasmy), but I wouldn't be so
bold as to rule it out altogether.

Mark Dowton
Dept Biology
Wollongong University