IUBio

Need help w/ SDS & extraction buffer

Kelly Luther umluther at cc.umanitoba.ca
Tue Mar 23 23:30:06 EST 1999

Mark Warner wrote:

> To all, I'm trying out a new RNA extraction buffer that contains Tris
> (0.2M), sodium perchlorate (8M)(pH 8.3) and SDS (2%), but the SDS comes
> out of solution and I can't seem to resolubilize it. I know this can
> happen with other buffers, and usually mild heat will do the trick, but
> it doessn't work. Any ideas?
>
> Mark

The larger the cation, the higher the temperature SDS will precipitate
at.  If the sodium is precipitating the SDS, try lowering the
temperature before it is mixed.  A smaller cation (Lithium) probably
isn't possible is it?  If so you can try this as well.

Kelvin Luther
Department of Chemistry         "Illegitimati non carborundum"
University of Manitoba            General Joseph W. Stilwell
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
mailto:umluther at cc.umanitoba.ca