IUBio

Storage of dry DNA? Any experience?

Paul Rasmussen paul at ib3.gmu.edu
Thu Mar 25 16:47:07 EST 1999

No, This is the DNA puregene kit.  I don't have any experience with a
Generations kit.  The samples in the puregene kit often do have some RBC gunk
carried over into the lysis solution, but after the initial Isopropanol
precipitation and subsequent ethanol washes, I've never had such problems as
you describe.  Furthermore in the puregene kit, you end up with a DNA
pellet.  You should be able to resuspend it into anything you want.  Perhaps
the confusion lies in the methods of extraction and/or precipitation.  Thank
you for pointing out the shortcomings of this kit, as I would not want to
lead anyone down the wrong path.
Paul

--
Paul Rasmussen
Research Associate

"Whenever I watch TV and see those poor starving kids all over the world, I
can't help but cry. I mean I'd love to be skinny like that but not with all
those flies and death and stuff."
-Mariah Carey, pop singer