IUBio

What are PAC's?

Robert Brooksbank rab at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Mar 25 13:11:14 EST 1999

Robert M. Mihalek wrote:

> I've heard of YAC's. I've worked with BAC's, but I don't know what a
> PAC is. Can anyone out there help me with this acronym?

PACs are P1-derived artificial chromosomes, ie they are based on the P1
bacteriophage. They are low copy number cloning vectors which can stably
contain inserts in the 100 to 150 kb range (occaisionally higher). There
is a useful web site at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, the URL is
http://bacpac.med.buffalo.edu/

I hope this helps,

Rob
--

Rob Brooksbank Ph.D.			The Sanger Centre
email: rab at sanger.ac.uk			Wellcome Trust Genome Campus