IUBio

OT but please help: First references on discovery of estrogens wanted

hiker kmcdowell01 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 25 07:48:51 EST 1999

Most any good reproductive biology text gives citations for early
descriptions of the sex steroids. Try Reproduction in Domestic Animals by
HH Cole and PT Cupps, 1997 or Marshall's Physiology of Reproduction,
1966.  Allen & Doisy and Aschheim & Zondek are generally credited with
demonstrating presence of estrogenic substances by bioassay.  Crystalline
estrone was prepared and described in 1931.