Storage of dry DNA? Any experience?

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Fri Mar 26 03:43:57 EST 1999

In article <36FAAED0.695F43CB at ib3.gmu.edu>, Paul Rasmussen
<paul at ib3.gmu.edu> wrote:

>No, This is the DNA puregene kit.  I don't have any experience with a
>Generations kit.

<...>

D'oh!  I should have realized when you were talking about pellets!

> Perhaps
>the confusion lies in the methods of extraction and/or precipitation.

Yes, 'Generations' comes off the column in solution, but 'Puregene' is a
precipitation.  Any gunk carry-through in Puregene (salting-out, isn't
it?) probably arises from red blood cell lysis.

>Thank
>you for pointing out the shortcomings of this kit, as I would not want to
>lead anyone down the wrong path.

It's (Generations) fine for PCR of small loci, but I wouldn't want to use
it for much else.  YMMV of course.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
work: www.cmtech.co.uk        |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
        -- Hiroshima '45 - Chernobyl '86 - Windows 98 --