Temperature of long-term DNA storage

Cres Bookstein cbookste at MEDICINE.BSD.UCHICAGO.EDU
Fri Mar 26 14:04:58 EST 1999

I have DNA, including genomic, that has been kept at 4 degrees for over 8
years and cuts &/or transforms like new.  It seems to me that DNA degrades
if contamination was present in the prep or is introduced by careless
handling.  Otherwise, it is more stable in the fridge than subjected to the
freeze thaw cycles of frozen storage.  It is probably just as stable at
room temperature, although I'v never tested that hypothesis.

Cres

Crescence Bookstein, Ph.D.
Research Associate/Assistant Professor
Dept of Medicine, mc6084