Accuracy of electrophoresis

Zasha Weinberg zasha at nny.com
Mon Mar 29 21:36:07 EST 1999

I'm trying to find out information on how accurate gel electrophoresis and
pulsed field electrophoresis are.   As may be clear, my expertise is not in
biology (it's in computer science).

For example, suppose I have a number of oligonucleotides, and wish to
identify the one of length 100000 bases (for the pulsed field case).  Will
it be accurate enough to distinguish that from one of length=100001.  In
general, is it possible to characterize the accuracy, assuming I want to be
as accurate as possible?  Also, what kind of lab time would this require?

Thanks,

-Z.