KI and DNA purification

jag100 at jag100 at
Tue Mar 30 09:52:41 EST 1999

In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-2903992052080001 at>,
  bpmurray*STUFFER* (Bernard P. Murray, PhD) wrote:
> In article <7dp5pu$7ht$1 at>, jag100 at wrote:
> > I have inherited a protocol for purifying DNA from agarose gels with
> > Promega's AgarACE enzyme.  The protocol I have calls for melting the gel
> > slices in 5.2M KI (final conc ~1.7M in ~300 ul total volume) before adding
> > the AgarACE.
> [snip]
> > Thanks,
> > Jennifer
> Is that really KI?  I thought most protocols user periodate
> (KIO4) or perchlorate for dissolution of agarose.  Sorry to
> question you, its just that the idea of using KI is new to me.
>      Bernard
> --
> Bernard P. Murray, PhD
> Dept. Cell. Mol. Pharmacol., UCSF, San Francisco, USA

Yep, it's KI that I use (I've made it myself several times)--although since I
inherited the protocol, it's very possible that there was a typo
way-back-when....  That's part of what I'm trying to figure out.

I believe GeneClean (Bio101?) uses NaI, not KI, in their kit.