KI and DNA purification

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at
Tue Mar 30 05:45:25 EST 1999

In article <bpmurray*STUFFER*-2903992052080001 at>,
Bernard P. Murray, PhD <bpmurray*STUFFER*> writes
>> I have inherited a protocol for purifying DNA from agarose gels with
>> Promega's AgarACE enzyme.  The protocol I have calls for melting the gel
>> slices in 5.2M KI (final conc ~1.7M in ~300 ul total volume) before adding
>> the AgarACE.
>> Thanks,
>> Jennifer
>Is that really KI?  I thought most protocols user periodate
>(KIO4) or perchlorate for dissolution of agarose.  Sorry to
>question you, its just that the idea of using KI is new to me.

Don't know about KI but 6M NaI with 5g/l Na sulphite works fine. Store
in the dark or an opaque bottle etc. If it is stored in the light it
will go yellow.

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.