Water bath sonicator wanted

Bernard P. Murray, PhD bpmurray*STUFFER* at socrates.ucsf.edu
Wed Mar 31 15:41:20 EST 1999

In article <3701E9FF.6FF94873 at auckland.ac.nz>, m.winter at auckland.ac.nz wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we would like to buy a water bath sonicator (so that we can sonicate
> dozens of samples/eppendorfs) at once but seem unable to locate one.
> Does anyone know where to purchase one?
> Please reply by e-mail.
> Thanks for your help.
> Markus

The only waterbath sonicators I have seen are for degassing solvents
or cleaning metal parts so they are quite low powered.  If you want
to eg. crack bacteria or yeast you'll have to use a probe sonicator.
For cracking many samples at once I have used freeze/thaw or bead
beating.  A high-powered waterbath sonicator would be quite
hazardous - as well as *NOISY*!  :-)
     Bernard
--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD