Hirt Exatrction

Roland Hübner rhubner at gins.uia.ac.be
Tue May 4 02:58:01 EST 1999

In article <372E0ADD.BDB19EE3 at csulb.edu>, "S. Orlando"
<sorlando at csulb.edu> wrote:

> Does anyone have or know where I can find a protocol for extracting DNA
> from viruses? I have heard of one called Hirt extraction or lysis. Can
> anyone help?

G'day,

 AFAIK the Hirt approach is used to extract (high copy!) viral DNA from
cells in culture (J. Mol. Biol. 26:365-369, 1967).

 If this is what you want to do, look up for instance Biotechniques 26:
276-282(1999) for a discussion of several flavors of what appears to be
"minipreps" on eucaryotic cells...

 If you get replies about harvesting LOW copy episomal DNA from eucaryotic
cells, I would be interested in this info...

 Hope this helps a little bit!

Roland