Getting amount & purity of DNA from 260/280

Hiranya S. Roychowdhury hroychow at NMSU.EDU
Tue May 4 15:52:31 EST 1999

At 03:22 PM 5/3/99 -0400, Mike Adams wrote:
>I have seen, but do not have a table that provides the quantity and
>purity of DNA in a sample using the readings at 260 and 280. Does anyone
>know of a book that contains this table?
>
>many thanks
>
>Mike Adams

I have not come across any such table (a nomogram, perhaps?); however, most
of us in this business use the ratio of the absorbances at the two
wavelenths to judge the purity, integrity and amount of nucleic acids in a
given solution. The information about this is part of standard molecular
biology textbooks and manuals.

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
GENE LAB/ EPPWS
New Mexico State University