Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue May 11 07:45:37 EST 1999

In article <007801be9b16$a63305a0$8c01a8c0 at>,
jakku at ("R. Jayakumar") wrote:

>  CAn anyone tell me why ethanol is normally used to precipitate DNA after
>it has been cooled below 0 Celsius.  But I have come across atleast one
>protocol where ethanol has been used at room temperature for DNA
>precipitation. Why this temperature  specifications for ethanol, while
>isopropanol is used at room temperature?

Heh, news to me.  I always use EtOH at RT . . .

Using IPA below 0C is a bad idea because you increase the risk of bringing
down protein.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
work:        |      home:
           -- +44 1223 508345 - the Number of the Yeast --