ethanol...at -20C

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Tue May 11 07:45:37 EST 1999

In article <007801be9b16$a63305a0$8c01a8c0 at VS_lab.tn.nic.in>,
jakku at mrna.tn.nic.in ("R. Jayakumar") wrote:

>HI
>  CAn anyone tell me why ethanol is normally used to precipitate DNA after
>it has been cooled below 0 Celsius.  But I have come across atleast one
>protocol where ethanol has been used at room temperature for DNA
>precipitation. Why this temperature  specifications for ethanol, while
>isopropanol is used at room temperature?

Heh, news to me.  I always use EtOH at RT . . .

Using IPA below 0C is a bad idea because you increase the risk of bringing
down protein.

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at cmtech.co.uk
work: www.cmtech.co.uk        |      home: www.avnet.co.uk/adastra
           -- +44 1223 508345 - the Number of the Yeast --