rest. digest on kit extracted vs phenol extracted DNA

Richard P. Grant r_grant at see.sig.for.address
Fri May 14 04:30:08 EST 1999

In article <7heurs$87s_001 at>, BGYCSW at (C.S. Wilding)

>Thanks for the message. The protocol is not very forthcoming with recipes
>but 1 of the "buffers" contains "a chaotropic salt" and another contains
>sodium azide. I am not sure what the column is but presume it is just some
>kind of filter to retain the chaotropic salt with bound DNA.

Sounds like silica-binding then (that's what the chaotroph is for)[0].
The azide is just biocidal and shouldn't affect downstream stuff.

[0] Ow!  Nasty preposition!  :-)

Richard P. Grant MA DPhil     |             rgrant at
work:        |      home:
 -- I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it passes --