DNA Strider for PC

Tony Hodge tph at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 07:12:15 EST 1999

Dr. Duncan Clark <Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <c1.2b5.2SkQvs$09E at SCOTGATE2.DEMON.CO.UK>, Chris H Lindley
> <chris at scotgate2.demon.co.uk> writes
> >Something curious I've always wondered: Why is it that
> >there's so much MolBio software for the Mac, and very little
> >for the PC?
>
> Possibly because the majority of US users had or still have Macs. As the
> software companies were also US they wrote software primarily for that
> market. In the UK we never used Macs, because PC's were more readily
> available than Macs.

8-) I'm glad you speak for yourself and not the whole UK! I work at a
lab (since '87) where we are almost exclusively Mac for labwork with
UNIX machines for the bigger jobs.  Macs have always been 'available' if
one cared to make the choice.  If by 'available' you mean 'cheap' then
that's a different story.

tony