Chitosan supplier/methods

C Coward cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 10:04:50 EST 1999

Greetings,

I am investigating the possibility of using a polysaccharide-based polymer
to form nanoparticles with DNA via coacervation (eg Leong et al. 1998
Journal of Controlled Release, vol 53 p.183). I am looking for a supplier
of high-quality Chitosan. Sigma/Fluka etc. only supply practical grade
material that I am reluctant to use (and indeed I observe problems with
dissolving the supplied material). Does anyone out there know of a company
(preferably near the UK) that could supply my needs?

Also if anyone has information concerning the solubility of chitosan
(especially in regards to pH) I'd appreciate it - the literature suggests
a 0.02% w/v solution pH5.5 in 5 mM NaHOAc0 for a working concentration but
in my hands, with the material as supplied large quantities of insoluble
material remains.

Cheers in advance.

Chris

Dr. Chris Coward                       | Tel: +44 1223 333545
University of Cambridge                | Fax: +44 1223 766145
Department of Pathology                | E-mail: cc122 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tennis Court Road, Cambridge.          |
CB2 1QP                                |
England                                |