english names of organisms?

Todd Richmond todd at andrew2.stanford.edu
Wed Nov 3 16:25:38 EST 1999

In article <38206461.7276 at icrf.icnet.uk>, Ina Hinners
<look.footer at icrf.icnet.uk> wrote:
>I have a list of homologous proteins. Now I am wondering what the
>following organisms are (in English):
>Ustilago maydis
>Bos primegenius
>Camtotheca acuminata
>Discopyge ommata
>Anybody ideas? Thanks a lot, Ina

Try using NCBI's taxonomic database at:

As an example,

Bos primigenius indicus = Bos indicus[synonym], zebu cattle[common name]
Discopyge ommata = preferred common name: electric ray

When that fails, just do a general net search. Using www.google.com, the
very first hit was to an abstract from Development, with the title:
Discrete developmental stages during teliospore formation in the corn smut
fungus, Ustilago maydis

And note that a minor spelling change Camtotheca acuminata => Camptotheca
acuminata and a quick net search will yield that Camptotheca acuminata is
also called the Chinese Happy Tree or Cancer tree, because of the
promising cancer fighting compound, camptothecin, that it contains.

Dr. Todd Richmond
Carnegie Institution of Washington
260 Panama Street                   Email: todd at andrew2.stanford.edu
Stanford, CA 94305                 Homepage: http://cellwall.stanford.edu/todd