mono/bis Acrylamide Ratio

Eric Chace Olivares olivares at leland.Stanford.EDU
Mon Nov 8 16:24:49 EST 1999

Hey people! I've been lurking for quite a while and now I need some help.
I'm trying to find some information about the use of different ratios of
acrylamide/bis for different PAGE purposes.

I understand that bis is included to crosslink the chains of polymer, thus
more bis corresponds to smaller pores, right?  I'm interested in the
ratio usually used for DNA-retardation or gel-shift assays.  I've seen
37.5:1 and 80:1, and I'm just looking for some feedback on what people are

Eric C. Olivares
Department of Genetics
Stanford University School of Medicine
olivares at