Multiple amino acid mutagenesis

Kresten kresten at my-deja.com
Thu Nov 11 02:26:19 EST 1999

In article <382A0D21.21FB48A5 at mail.med.upenn.edu>,
  Noam Harel <hareln at mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to mutate a stretch of up to 18 contiguous amino acids in a
> 600-residue protein. What would have the least predicted effect on
> overall protein structure? mutating to all alanines, all glycines, a
> mixture of both, or just deleting that stretch?

Depends on what you want. One idea is to take a stretch from another
protein and put that in. If what you are changing is an alpha-helix you
could take a helix from another protein. Or you could even replace with
a strectch from a protein with a similar fold (see CATH database).

HTH
Kresten

--
The address kresten at my-dejanews.com is for
spambots only. Please mail me at LysLeuLeu at crc.dk
transforming the pre at -part into my initials.
Kresten Lindorff Larsen, Dept. Yeast Genetics

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.