Explanation needed please

Jens Tornoe imjt at pop.dtu.dk
Sat Nov 13 09:26:32 EST 1999

To the best of my knowledge, that is not an uncommon observation.
Frequently, RNA PolII can initiate transcription from several sites that
might not be of any physiological relevance. How is the sequence around the
2 initiation sites you have identified? Can you find any consensus sequences
for an Initiator element and a TATA box ~30 bp upstream from the initiation
site in either case? One would expect that the TATA and Inr elements giving
rise to the predominant product would be more 'consensus-like' than for the
other product. That is not always the case, though. For instance, the SV40
promoter TATA box and Inr site are not exactly textbook examples.

Depending on the location of the initiation sites, both mRNAs might be
translatable and yield protein. If the weak band represents a longer mRNA I
would just expect it to add to the amount of gene product coming from the
strong mRNA. If it is shorter, it could both be translated or possibly
degraded because of lack of important protecting 5' structures.

If you really wanted to go into the details of the promoter, you could
examine what impact mutation of the areas around either transcription start
site would have on mRNA and protein production.

Regards,

Jens

Jens Tornøe
NeuroSearch