Sequencing

Bernard Murray, PhD spam at 127.0.0.1
Tue Nov 16 16:54:24 EST 1999

In article <199911161654.JAA80566 at nestor.NMSU.Edu>, hroychow at NMSU.EDU
("Hiranya S. Roychowdhury") wrote:
> I am yet to see a manual sequencing raction that covers
> more than 500 bases, legibly.

Multiple loading and a salt gradient gel can give you this length
of read but I admit that it is a lot of work.  Our local sequencing
facility is currently giving reads approaching 1 kb (but I agree the
3' end is getting rather iffy).
   Where will all these tricks go when a generation of molecular
biologists has arrived that has never sequenced anything manually?
(I had a colleague in my last lab who was saddened that noone
purified their own ATP or enzymes any more...)

   Bernard

--
Bernard P. Murray, PhD
bpmurray at cgl . ucsf . edu