G+C content calculation

Robert Hartley rh at mblab.gla.ac.uk
Thu Nov 18 05:00:51 EST 1999

s535290 at aix1.uottawa.ca wrote:
Hello Ed
> does anyone know of a DOS/windows program that takes DNA sequences and
> calculates GC content ? We had one called Li'93 on a unix box that has
> died !!!! and I'd like a non-unix replacement !

You can use a text editor.
I use ZAP on RISC OS ARM powered machines.
Simply paste your sequence into the editor and ask it to count the
number of C's+G's. I think VIM or EMACS should do this and I beleive you
can get VIM for most Platforms. EVEN RISC OS (www.riscos.com)

On ZAP it easier than that using the multitasking "Learn" Function.
CNTRL L do one count CNTRL L then save the Macro to the desktop.
Paste sequence into ZAP, double click on the macro, and hey presto you
have the answer.

This may sound VERY old fasioned but if you learn a "Programming" text
editor well, it can be your best friend.

> TIA,
>
> Ed
Cheers
Bob